Monday, March 28, 2011

Des Films Pour Paris

Bonjour tout le monde!
Since it's been a whopping two weeks since I last blogged, I'm going to try and do 3 posts this week. I'm simultaneously busy and lazy these days, so I'm going to wait to post about my St Patrick's Day trip to Ireland, my first easyJet experience, my happy return to the City of Lights, my new favorite ice cream place (it's Amorino, actually, so that's done) and this past weekend's trip to the Loire Valley. Instead, for this week's first post, I'm going the lazy route- photos, videos and minimum explanation!

I'm a big lover of film— in fact, one of my classes here in Paris is a cinema course. We go in, the guy talks a little, and then we watch a movie. It's pretty great.
Side note- I've learned from watching several French movies, presentations on movies, etc, that all French men are named Francois Pignon. Seriously, I've seen/heard of about 4 movies where the main character's name is Francois Pignon. The most well-known (maybe) is the on from Le Diner de Cons (our version is Dinner for Schmucks).

Anyway, aside from the cinema class, two DVDs I bought in French, and the occasional MegaVideo site, movies are rare for me these days and I'm painfully aware of it. And every once in a while, when I'm strolling around Paris, I wish I'd done a Paris movie marathon back home before I'd left, something to kick off the trip and the semester and to give me an idea of places I'd like to see most (not that there's any shortage of things to see!).
So here's the point- I love love love movies, and EVEN MORE than movies themselves, I love movie stars. And my FAVORITE movie star is Audrey Hepburn. Audrey Hepburn was the first reason that I wanted to come to Paris- she has so many good movies set here! She isn't the only one, either. So here's an unfinished list of movies I recommend watching in preparation for a semester (or even a vacation) in Paris. Hopefully the videos work, and if not, I've posted links.




CHARADE
Putting the top right at the top. This is by far my favorite Paris movie. There's murder, spies, mystery, comedy, a disgruntled French policeman, a nervous-eating Audrey Hepburn, and most importantly, there's Cary Grant. Cary Grant is..words don't do the man justice. Let me put it in the words of my father- if Cary Grant had been president, there would have been world peace. Anyway, it's a great movie set in Paris with a great chase scene in the metro and a climax at the Palais Royale.



(or watch here)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwdOw-JXTOI




SABRINA
(Not the teenage witch.)
This movie isn't set in Paris; what is most important is how Paris is described and thought of, how it changes Sabrina (played by Audrey Hepburn), and how it affects her relationship with rich brothers David and Linus (a blond William Holden and a slightly older Humphrey Bogart). Sabrina talks about how Paris changes her ("Paris isn't for changing planes. It's for changing your outlook, for letting in La Vie En Rose.") and that's what sold me. Audrey Hepburn could talk anyone into anything, although apparently Bogie didn't like her. We can't all be Lauren Bacall. The movie's also pretty funny- it's a romantic comedy about a wallflower who finally blooms and it's also about relationships between classes. William Holden sits on wine glasses and hilarity ensues, Bogie plays the part of a seducer, and Audrey sings "La Vie En Rose" and "We Have No Bananas Today."



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5etAm3Hoz74




FUNNY FACE
Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire, fashion, music, and Paris. If none of that interests you, go away and watch Transformers.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrIJjB_dyP0
If you watch this video, pay attention to the part where they show Fred Astaire on all of the stairs. THAT is a realistic depiction of Paris. There are so many stairs, EVERYWHERE.






AMELIE
If you're interested in Paris and/or movies, chances are you've seen this. Everyone seems to love this movie, and there's really no reason not to. It's adorable, fun and an enthralling story, and it all takes place in Montmartre, which is possibly my favorite part of Paris. Some of my friends have even visited the cafe from the movie! The star is Audrey Tautou (I'm really sorry if I spelled that incorrectly), who is beautiful and wonderful and so freakin' cute in this movie. It's a romantic comedy but it's also about doing good deeds (and we could all use a dose of that). Also, there's a traveling gnome. This one's all in French, by the way, so if you're not a fan of subtitles...well, get over it and watch the movie. There's no other like it.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmllotLUU38&feature=related

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
Yeah, I know, it's a Disney movie. But there's beautiful music, a great story, and it's relatively disturbing for a Disney movie. I think it made me love Notre Dame even more than I would have otherwise. It's based on the book that basically saved the cathedral from being torn down, but based on what I've read one Sparknotes and the French musical, it's really nothing like the story Victor Hugo wrote. Every time I look up at the towers of Notre Dame and imagine the music playing, it just makes the cathedral seem all the more amazing, almost powerful. The one thing that bothers me is that there are no steps up to Notre Dame, and they're a big part of the movie's opening.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnh-sxaBwk

JULIE AND JULIA
My top reasons for listing and loving this movie:
1. It's centered around French food (and also love and comedy) and BLOGGING.
2. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci. Everyone knows how amazing Meryl Streep is, but she and Stanley Tucci just portray this great love between Julia and Paul Child so well.
3. The themes about friendship shown in the different times.
4. Pre-Glee Jane Lynch is in it.
5. It's centered around French food...and that's really all that matters. ;-)
Make sure that you have something delicious to eat for during or after you watch this movie- you're gonna be hungry.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxqMVhY_J4


PARIS, JE T'AIME
I haven't actually seen this, but I really want to- it's a bunch of small stories filmed and put together, all set in Paris. I imagine it's a good Paris movie to watch...also it has Natalie Portman, and if I had to choose someone to place Audrey Hepburn in a movie, it would be Natalie Portman. I'm not going to post a video because I haven't actually watched the movie, but if anyone reads this and has a link to offer feel free to leave it in a comment here or on my Facebook.


THE DA VINCI CODE

Haven't seen this either, but I'm posting it because I read the book here in Paris and it really got me excited to visit the Louvre. If the movie is anything like the book, it's worth seeing and sure to put you in the mood for an adventure in Paris! Plus it has an amazing cast, and you can laugh at Tom Hanks's hairstyle. Same goes for not posting a video.

No comments:

Post a Comment